Manchester City 9-0 Burton
Manchester City 9-0 Burton: Gabriel Jesus scores FOUR as Pep Guardiola’s side build insurmountable lead over League One side in Carabao Cup semi-final
- Gabriel Jesus doubled their lead with a close range header before adding a third just a few moments later
- Oleksandr Zinchenko scored City’s fourth before the break with a looping effort that dropped into the net
- Jesus then completed his hat-trick in the second half with another routine header from inside the box
- Phil Foden scored his second goal inside four days after coming on as a substitute before Jesus added a fourth
- Defender Kyle Walker made it 8-0 with a thumping finish and then Riyad Mahrez finally got on the score sheet
So much for the romance of the cup. Three days after sticking seven past Rotherham in the FA Cup, Manchester City killed off their Carabao Cup semi-final with Burton Albion last night without the need for a second leg.
The holders go the Pirelli Stadium in a fortnight not so much to finish the job as go through a formality after a thoroughly ruthless display against the League One underdogs.
Credit to Pep Guardiola’s side for doing their work so effectively, and in particular Gabriel Jesus who scored four goals. David Silva was excellent again too.
Gabriel Jesus scored four as Manchester City stormed towards a fourth Carabao Cup final in six years against Burton Albion
Kevin De Bruyne opened the scoring as he latched onto a perfect cross from midfield partner David Silva after five minutes
Gabriel Jesus doubled their lead after 30 minutes with a close range header after good work from Sane down the right side
Jesus was picked out from a knock down by Silva and he controlled the ball, committed defenders and slotted into the net
Oleksandr Zinchenko scored City’s fourth in the first-half when his dipping effort lobbed the goalkeeper and flew into the net
Jesus then completed his hat-trick in the second half with another routine header from inside the Burton penalty area
Phil Foden scored his second goal at the Etihad in four days after firing home from close range after coming off the bench
Jesus notched a fourth for the evening when he got in front of the Burton defenders and clipped the ball into the net
Defender Kyle Walker made it 8-0 with a thumping finish after coming in for some criticism in recent weeks
Riyad Mahrez finally got on the score sheet with a scrappy finish from inside the box with less than 10 minutes left to play